Wednesday, February 9, 2011

England players are proud as ever to wear the Three Lions

"Frank Lampard and Fabio Capello beat the national drum"


"Fabio Capello and new skipper Frank Lampard presented a united front when quizzed about a so-called lack of pride when England players pull on the national shirt."

The England coach says he has always witnessed passion and dedication from all the players he’s selected when the squad meets up.

And Chelsea midfielder Lampard, one of the proudest England players you can imagine, says it’s nonsense that representing your country doesn’t carry the weight it once did.

England’s failure in South Africa raised all sorts of issues about national pride and the fact that top players are more concerned with Premier League and Champions League glory with their clubs.

Nonsense. Frank held his first press conference as captain, a day before he collects his 85th cap, and said: “From a personal point of view my appetite for playing for England is as great as ever. I’m sure the same goes for the other lads.

“South Africa was obviously disappointing for everyone, but we went out with the same desire and passion as we do every time we pull on an England shirt. People said we didn’t care: Of course we cared; it’s just that we didn’t win.

“Playing for your country is what you dream of as a boy, and I have been lucky to have been involved for a long time now. I’m one of the old stagers in the squad, but I want to go on playing for England as long as I’m selected.

“I don’t want to stop now and then, at the age of 45, look back and wish I’d carried on. That would be one of my biggest regrets. But it’s not going to happen.

“And now, having been given the honour of wearing the captain’s armband, I feel an immense sense of pride. It will be one of the proudest moments of my life when I lead the lads out tomorrow.”

When you listen to Lamps, and others, talking about what it means to wear the three lions on their shirt, it’s hard to believe how some respected figures in the game can question their commitment.

On the same subject, England coach Capello added: “I don’t understand how people can say they (the players) don’t play with pride. The performance and conduct of the players, every time we get together, is 100 per cent.

“We have some players missing for the Denmark game because of injuries, but that gives me a good opportunity to have a look at others, and that will be a good experience.”

Source : GIVEMEFOOTBALL.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment